of self-denial
Can't deny that I AM Getting older by the day, and my body is aging by the minute. And the speed of aging is sometimes hastened by external factors i.e demanding workload, increasingly overdued deadlines, high intensity of noise pollution in workplace, lack of rest and quality sleeptime, constant challange of tolerance level. The moment when I finally put aside my self-denial that I still am a young lass, was the appalling incident about 2 months ago. My neighbour's son (abt 3-4yrs) and their maid (abt 18yrs old) was out at the common corridor playing, when I returned from work at abt 7pm. I must have looked quite disheveled after a full day of battling the incorrigibles. As I was jus about to walk past them, the maid suddenly smiled, and said sweetly,"Hello auntie." My heart skipped a beat.
My only reaction to her: a frail and weak smile.
"AUNTIE!!" The word blasted in my mind. Horror of horrors.
I am the youngest in my family and amongst my closer relatives. And among my friends, I'm always the baby of the group. Imagine the shocking discovery that I have now being termed as an auntie by someone who is merely 7yrs younger than me! argh!
I do in fact have nieces and nephews, and they call me "auntie" out of respect and family traditions. One of my nieces from my extended family is actually a few years older than me. I personally do not resent them calling me by "auntie", but.....argh! to be called that by a stranger who thinks i'm old enough to be one?? The very first person I complained to was my mom. She kindly offered me an explanation, which sounds felt reasonable, but definitely not justifiable to me.
"She's from India, and can't speak english. So perhaps "auntie" is the only word she knows how to call pple by..."
Sigh...Even though I am not convinced by this reason, I chose to believe this is the truth. For it somehow seems to allow my heartbeat to resume its normal rate. Self-denial is just too convenient and too tempting to resist.